For the Love of Dogs

NOTE: Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. If your dog eats even a small amount of something containing xylitol, it is critical to get emergency veterinary care immediately, because even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death.

If you love your pooch, you need to be aware that xylitol is showing up in more and more products, with the most commonly reported source of dog poisoning being sugar-free gum.

You need to READ THE LABELS on all products you bring into your home. The most at-risk things are labeled “light” or “sugar-free” or are intended for health care (e.g., toothpaste, mouthwash, cough syrup, etc.)

And do not be fooled by statements like this one from Nick’s Light Ice Cream site:

Our sweeteners have sciencey sounding names, but they’re actually derived from things like raisins, monk fruit, birch trees and other stuff you’ve heard of!

Our sweeteners are all derived by plants!

[Big whoop! A whole host of deadly poisons are made from PLANTS.]

Usually, xylitol is listed on ingredient labels as xylitol. However, some products (like Nick’s) are now listing it as birch sugar, maybe to make the product look more natural. But the fact is that birch sugar is xylitol. AND DOGS LOVE ICE CREAM!! I always let Daisey lick out the bowl when I’m done!!

Thank God for internet memes. (And Frankly the Nut who posted this one.)

P.S., for those who are hypersensitive to corn, the Runtastic article below notes that since it is expensive to make birch sugar from birch, most of what is labeled “birch sugar” is actually made from corn cobs.

1 Comment

Filed under Loose Pollen

One response to “For the Love of Dogs

  1. chrissythehyphenated

    For the record, I was finally able to find an image of a Nick’s ingredients label. It says xylitol. The web site is where it crows about how xylitol is just a fancy name for birch sugar.

    Liked by 1 person